Thursday, December 3, 2020

12/3/20: Cardio-Oncology Appointment

Everything's fine!

The appointment started with a quick EKG. It took longer to attach the sensors to my legs, arms, and torso than it did to actually take the recording. 

I had already printed out my echocardiogram report from the online patient portal. The ejection fraction is now 57%, which is well within the normal range of 54-73%. My baseline was 63%, so I asked the doctor if my ejection fraction might continue to improve and return to baseline? She said maybe, and I got the impression that it really doesn't matter, since the number is already considered normal. Anyway, I won't be getting any more echocardiograms, so I'll never know!

The doctor did a brief physical exam, took a listen to my heart, and said everything sounded great.

I asked about my blood pressure, since my bottom number is sometimes in the 80s and 90s. She said to monitor it for a week or so, and ideally I should be calmly sitting down for 10 minutes before taking a measurement! If it's consistently above 90, then I should let my PCP know.

She said there's no reason to worry about any long-term side effects to Herceptin, so she can graduate me from cardio-oncology. Yay! That's one less thing to worry about. If I have any symptoms like heart palpitations, shortness of breath, or fluid retention in my legs, I can reach out to her again.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the good news! I'll take any good news I can get and this certainly qualifies! Hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt the same! Any bit of good news is especially welcome these days. Thanks for celebrating the news with me!

      Delete