Tuesday, December 8, 2020

What to Expect from Chemotherapy

I first drafted this post when I started chemo, and I meant to finish it just after finishing chemo, but it fell by the wayside. By now, I think I've forgotten some useful things I might have said if I had posted it earlier, but here goes.

These are my thoughts on what to expect if you're getting chemotherapy. Of course, experiences and treatments vary. I got 12 weekly infusions of a "low dose" of Taxol, plus Herceptin because I was HER2-positive. After that, I got a higher dose of maintenance Herceptin every 3 weeks for the remainder of a year. 

I think I was relatively lucky in terms of side effects, and I definitely got off easy in terms of not experiencing any nausea at all.

Understand Your Regimen and Schedule

Chemotherapy was recommended at my first meeting with my medical oncologist, and things moved quickly from there. Within days my husband and I had a "chemo teach" appointment with an oncology nurse who explained the process and answered all our questions. She provided complete information on my treatment schedule, all the drugs I would be getting (including pre-medications), expected side effects, and the prescriptions I would have to help manage side effects. This meeting was critical in setting my expectations for chemotherapy. She emphasized that my regimen was tailored to me, and every person experiences side effects differently, so I shouldn't compare my experience with that of others.

Two days after that meeting, I got my port installed. The aftermath of this procedure was actually more painful than I anticipated, but I felt better in about a week. 

The day after port placement, I got an echocardiogram because Herceptin can weaken the heart's pumping action. This echocardiogram would be my baseline, and my heart would be monitored by an echocardiogram every 3 months while on Herceptin. Getting the echocardiogram just one day after port placement, and 4 weeks after my double mastectomy surgery, I really couldn't lie on my side without pain, but the technician was very kind and accommodating, and was able to get the images without too much discomfort.

Before I knew it, one week later I was getting my first chemotherapy infusion.

Day of Treatment Routine

On the day of treatment, I made sure to wear a top that would allow easy access to my port. I could wear any shirt that was kind of stretchy, or had a V-neck, as long as it could be easily pulled aside to expose the port. Also, I made sure it was short-sleeved, since my blood pressure was taken at every visit, too.

About an hour before my appointment time, I used the prescribed numbing cream (lidocaine-prilocaine) for my port. The cream was thinner than I expected, and I was instructed to cover the bump of the port, located under the incision scar, so that it looked "like toothpaste". Over the weeks I found that it worked best if I didn't try to conserve it; just slather it on.


Then I covered the area with a square of Glad Press 'n Seal, so that the cream would stay in place and not get on my clothes.


At my Cancer Center, I usually first met with a nurse who accessed my port. With the numbing cream, I didn't feel a thing when the needle went in. (Sometimes I felt just a tiny poke if I presumably didn't use enough cream.) She drew blood via the port for blood work, which was checked each treatment to make sure I would be able to receive chemotherapy that day. (My numbers stayed within acceptable range, so I never needed to miss a dose.)

About every 2 or 3 weeks, after my port was accessed, I had an appointment with my medical oncologist. This was my opportunity to discuss any side effects.

Once in the infusion room, a medical assistant took my vitals.

My infusion room was set up with "bays". Instead of one big room where patients sit amongst each other, each patient had their own space that could be curtained off for privacy. Each bay had one recliner for the patient, an extra chair or two for company, and a TV.

Once in my bay, I got settled in my recliner. I liked having a pillow and one of the heated blankets provided by the hospital. Then, I basically just sat for the next few hours. All the medications that were administered through the port were hung on an IV pole, so I could get up and walk to the bathroom, pushing the IV pole along with me.

Line Up Drivers As You Go / Invite a Friend

My hospital usually provided me with at least 2-3 appointments at a time, so I had time to plan ahead. I was advised to not drive myself to chemo, at least at the beginning. One of my pre-meds was Benadryl, which could make me drowsy, and another was Decadron, a steroid that could make me jittery! Who knows how I would end up reacting to all the meds. 

My husband was able to work out a schedule at work so that he could drive me to most of my first several treatments, but I was also fortunate enough to have a few friends who volunteered to drive me. I decided to take up each friend's offer only once, so as not to burden any one person too much. On average, my treatments lasted about 4 hours, not including driving time, which added another hour at least (round-trip), so it was a pretty big commitment. As it turned out, having friends with me during treatment was one of the best things I did for myself during chemo. Even though I was hooked up to an IV and getting pumped full of toxic drugs, it was downright fun to have a solid chunk of time to just sit and chat with a friend. 

Towards the end of my treatments, I got a pretty good feel for how the drugs affected me, and with my infusion nurse's blessing, I did a trial run of driving home, with someone in the passenger seat just in case. After that, I was able to drive myself to my last few appointments.

What to Bring

Here's a list of what I brought to my infusion treatments:
  • Port Pillow for the Car - If needed to cushion the port from the seat belt. My port was placed on my left side, so the seat belt laid right over it if I was driving; I didn't need a port pillow if I sat in the passenger seat, with the seat belt over my right shoulder. My port pillow attached to the seat belt, but it didn't stay in place very well; I had to re-position it every now and then. Still, it worked well if I placed it basically on my shoulder, lifting the seat belt away from my body so it didn't touch the port at all.

  • Water Bottle with Straw Lid - I was advised to drink 2-3 quarts of water a day. I really loved the convenience of the straw lid.

  • Lip Balm - My written take-home instructions after chemo said to use lip balm to keep my lips moisturized. I didn't always use it, but brought it just in case.

  • Hand Sanitizer - It's important to be diligent about preventing illness during chemo. I always ate at some point during my infusion, so having a handy bottle of hand sanitizer made it easy to clean my hands before eating, without having to get up and drag the IV pole into the restroom to wash my hands. 

  • Treatment and Reaction Log - I wrote down the date and time of all medications, plus all side effects I experienced. Each week I kept my infusion nurse informed of my side effects, and how I was managing. She gave me specific advice and suggestions based on how I was doing each week.

  • Things To Do - I always brought my cell phone (my hospital had free Wi-Fi) and a book. Sometimes the Benadryl (one of my pre-medications) would make me feel loopy or tired, so I'd just sit and rest, or nod off. If I had a friend with me, we easily passed the time talking. Sometimes my social worker or my physical therapist (for my double mastectomy recovery; I had cording in one arm) would meet with me during my infusion time. Consider bringing a laptop, an iPad, a knitting project, anything to help pass the time.

  • Snacks and Lunch - My Cancer Center actually provided snacks, drinks, and a lunch for me and a friend. But I would still pack a few snacks just in case.

Side Effects

My oncologist called my regimen "chemo lite" because I only got one chemo drug, and my dose was apparently very low. There are a whole slew of possible side effects you might experience, from acne to blurry vision to skin rash. I think I got off pretty easy; I had a lot of side effects, but they were mostly just annoying.

The side effects people most worry about seem to be the following:
  • Fatigue - After a few weeks, I was able to see a pattern in my weekly cycles. I got my infusions on Friday. That night, I was up late and got very little sleep (sometimes as little as 3 hours), thanks to the steroid pre-med. Saturdays and Sunday mornings I felt pretty normal, and then would start to feel tired come Sunday afternoon. I'd go to bed early, making up for lost sleep. I was always most tired on Mondays, and would continue to drag on Tuesdays. On Wednesdays I would feel increasingly better, on Thursdays I would feel practically normal again, and then the cycle started all over again on Friday. In some ways I preferred to just be a hermit during chemo, but I quickly learned that any activities were best limited to Saturdays, Sunday mornings, and Thursdays; Mondays and Tuesdays were totally out.

  • Nausea - Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book recommends that if you experience nausea, take your prescribed medications as instructed, don't try to "tough out". Just in case, I bought saltines, ginger ale, and a friend gave me some ginger candies in preparation for chemo. I truly lucked out and didn't experience any nausea at all.

  • Hair Loss - Dr. Love's book also says that hair loss is always traumatizing, but the people who do the best are the ones who prepare for it. I'm not sure about that; I tried to prepare, and was still very affected. I was not given a prescription for a wig because my oncology nurse didn't think I would need it; she said I should expect thinning, but not total hair loss. Still, I prepared for the worst and bought a couple headcovers just in case. I felt better just knowing I had a plan, especially since a lot of people say that hair loss happened very dramatically, essentially overnight.

    My experience was different; the thinning was gradual. There were a couple days after my 4th treatment when my hair fell out at an alarming rate. The amount of hair that fell out increased every week, and after the 6th treatment, I became self-conscious. After the 7th treatment, it was undeniably noticeable, and I started wearing a hat. After the 10th treatment, I couldn't even stand to look at my straggly hair in private, so I shaved it.

    In the months after chemo ended, my hair slowly grew back, but 5 months out I was still wearing hats in public. I was 8 1/2 months post-chemo when I finally felt comfortable going out without a hat.

  • Weight Change - Some chemo patients lose weight because of the nausea. I didn't experience any nausea, but since my chemo regimen included a steroid, I was told to expect weight gain. My medical oncologist advised me to not worry about losing weight while on chemo; it was more important to eat well and maintain good nutrition. I ended up finishing chemo about 5 pounds heavier than when I started.

  • Neuropathy - I had what seemed to be an unusual situation; at least, no one could give me any straight answers. I did not experience any neuropathy while receiving chemo, but about a month after stopping chemo, while still getting Herceptin, I started to get numbness and tingling in my hands. These symptoms came and went, and were sometimes debilitating and painful. My medical oncologist prescribed"water pill" in case fluid retention was a factor, I started sleeping with wrist braces, and my physical therapist gave me new exercises. It was entirely unclear what was causing the symptoms. Was it delayed neuropathy from chemo? Or the Herceptin? I was also on Lupron and exemestane, so was it related to fluid retention or menopause? Who knows. After about 8 months, the symptoms gradually subsided. Now, about a year after finishing chemo, I still have a very mild tingling in the thumb, pointer, and middle fingers on both hands, but it's like I've gotten used to it, it's just there. Of course, I'm curious to see if it ever goes away!

Bottom Line

Every person is going to have a unique experience with chemo. Reading about my experience may or may not help someone else, who will probably experience completely different side effects. No matter what your particular experience is, I think the following advice is universal:
  • Drink Lots of Water - Just keep a water bottle with you at all times and drink, drink, drink! Yes, you'll need to pee more often.

  • Rest When You Need to Rest - It's okay to lie down in the middle of the day, or go to bed right after dinner.

  • Stay Active - Take a walk to get fresh air, and also to get your blood and lymph circulating. I aimed for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, but even 10-15 minutes a day is good. If that feels like too much, my physical therapist recommended doing just a little something any time you get up from resting; swing your arms, or go up and down the stairs a few times.

  • Look Forward - Sometimes chemo can feel like a slog, like it's just dragging on and on. Remember, you are prescribed a regimen, and there is an end in sight!! You can do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment