Tuesday, June 14, 2022

6/14/22: Covid Test + Cardiology Appointment

Today I found a good web page that explains QT prolongation. It's much better than the links in yesterday's post.

The short of it is, I don't require any more follow-up in cardiology, and I'm cleared for my surgery on Thursday! Phew. 

I started the day by driving to the surgery hospital for my covid test. 

I got there early, so while waiting for my appointment time, I called my oncology nurse and left a message about my cardiology appointment this afternoon. I was sure she could see the appointment in the online system, but she had asked me to call, and I found it reassuring to be in contact with someone who was basically tasked to help me manage this situation. 

The covid test took all of 10 seconds to administer. The nurse said the ordering physician will get the results. They'll call me if I'm positive, and probably won't call me if I'm negative. 

By the time I got home, I had just enough time to eat lunch before turning around and leaving for my cardiology appointment in the city. 

I gave myself what I thought was a ridiculous amount of extra time, but with a little traffic and a lot of time spent circling up and up the parking garage until I found open spaces, and then walking to the hospital, I got to the Cardiac Clinic just in time for my appointment.

When the medical assistant took my vitals, I was still feeling rushed from trying to arrive on time and stressed from driving in the city, not to mention anxious from just being there for a cardiac issue with my surgery on the line. She took both my blood pressure and my heart rate twice, giving me time to calm down in between. Then she did another EKG.

The cardiologist was all business, with a calm demeanor that probably serves him well in this field. He didn't tell me the QTc value, but he said it was "borderline" prolongated. Interestingly, in line with this article, he took the time to manually re-calculate the QTc. It was still borderline.

I find it noteworthy that in 3 EKGs, the leads on my legs were placed in 3 different places. On Friday (the EKG with prolonged QTc), the leads were placed low on my ankles. On Monday (the EKG with normal QTc), the leads were placed in the middle of my calves. Today (the EKG with borderline QTc), the leads were placed low on my calves, but above my ankles.

Anyway, the cardiologist asked me a bunch of questions about my own medical history and my family's. Do I ever pass out? Has anyone under 60 ever died suddenly and unexpectedly? He said he didn't think I have Long QT Syndrome, which is basically the only potential issue with a prolonged QTc. I just happen to have a slightly longer than normal QT interval.

I forgot to ask what would cause the prolonged QTc, since I didn't have it before. I was just 100% focused on whether or not I would be cleared for surgery. He said yes, I was fine to proceed with surgery, and no additional follow-up is needed either before or after the surgery, but I should schedule an appointment if anything changes, like if I start passing out.

I felt so relieved walking out of the clinic! I got back to my car and called the oncology nurse right away. She said she would contact the GYN surgeon's office and let them know to check my electronic medical record for confirmation of medical clearance. I hope that's that. Tomorrow the hospital is supposed to call, and I might call the GYN's office just to make sure everything's in order.

Once I got home, I checked the online patient portal. I'm glad I have access to my medical notes, because I learned a couple things that were not explicitly discussed during the appointment.

First, I hadn't asked the doctor what exactly my QTc was today, but the report says it was 461 ms, right in the borderline zone according to the QT prolongation article.

Second, the note said that the anastrozole and Lupron may be contributing factors. The cardiologist wrote, "Given her concurrent hormone suppression therapy, would be prudent to continue monitoring QT interval moving forward."

This was my first time hearing about any connection between my hormone therapy and the QT interval. I didn't find any connections when looking up Long QT Syndrome yesterday, but I did find some hits by searching for just "QT" and "Lupron" together. Turns out, Lupron can affect the electerical activity of your heart! Not only that, but QT prolongation is a known less common side effect of Lupron! The QT prolongation article also says that hormonal imbalances could be a cause. 

It seems to me that I am somehow prone to getting the less common but serious side effects of medications. First I got non-alcoholic fatty liver disease from Tamoxifen, now I've got QT prolongation presumably from Lupron. I'm reminded of what my original medical oncologist said, about how Asian cancer patients tend to respond differently to cancer treatment, perhaps in part because Asians are not well-represented in all the clinical trials where side effects are investigated. 

I'm wondering if I should be disappointed that my oncology team never warned me about these risks specifically. I guess I can't expect them to list every single side effect, and I don't think knowing about these less common outcomes would have affected my decision-making; since they are not common, I would have figured I'd be unlikely to get them, even if I knew about them. 

It also occurs to me, should I be upset that they didn't readily connect the dots between prolonged QTc and Lupron? Maybe they did, but the focus right now was figuring out if a prolonged QTc would affect my surgery. And since my surgery means discontinuing Lupron anyway, maybe it's moot. Looking ahead, I may try to ask for an EKG at my next oncology appointment, to see if the QTc returns to normal after stopping Lupron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment