Friday, December 20, 2019

12/20/19: Chemo Cycle #12 of 12 + Medical Oncologist Appointment + (4 Months Post-DMX) Physical Therapy Appointment #11

Today was my last chemo infusion!!! Hooray!! At home tonight, we celebrated with a chocolate cake that Ken and the kids made for me, by request. Haha. They used a cake mix and store-bought frosting and it was delicious!!!!

My last chemo infusion just happened to coincide with the holiday season, so I prepared thank you / holiday gifts for everyone in the Cancer Center and Breast Center. I didn't think to take a proper picture at home, but I snapped this photo in the car before going in.


Each gift bag or mug is filled with tea bags, honey sticks, and candies. I put 12 gift bags into a basket, and gave a basket each to the Cancer Center 1st floor staff, Cancer Center 2nd floor staff, and Breast Center staff. The mugs I gave to people on my regular care team: port nurse, medical oncologist, infusion nurse, physical therapist, NP, and breast surgeon. I prepared a mug for my social worker, but she wasn't there today; I'll try again next week. I think the gifts went over well. At least, everyone accepted them graciously, and they brought a few smiles. (I also gave the mugs with goodies to friends who drove me to chemo and who drove my kids to school while Ken and I went to chemo.)

My 8:15 appointment with the port nurse was her first appointment of the day. Regarding my port, she mentioned that I should talk through all my options with my oncologist, including the possibility of removing the port and using a regular IV for my ongoing maintenance Herceptin infusions. I had actually come across that idea already in one of the Facebook support groups, and appreciated having it validated by the port nurse. Still, even though the maintenance infusions would be every 3 weeks, I feel like keeping the port would be worth it, to save my veins, if they could really ensure a clean closure this time.  

With my port accessed, I had to wait an extra half-hour for my oncologist, who was already running late. I saw her at 9:30, and she spent so much time with me - which I appreciated so much!! - that she was even more behind schedule when I left. Any time I see a doctor, whether for myself or my kids, I never get upset if they are running late; I figure, maybe they are taking some extra time to answer questions from patients, which is exactly what I would want them to do for me.

I asked if, and when, I should stop taking the loratadine (which I've been taking to address a dry cough I got while on chemo), and she said to take it for 3 more weeks, then stop.

Regarding my port, my medical oncologist said it's really so much more convenient for me to have the port; she didn't really entertain the idea of taking it out. I asked her how I could be sure that the interventional radiologist could really get a good result this time? What if I get re-sutured, and it still doesn't heal properly? What will they do differently? I guess part of me wonders if it's really necessary to keep trying to fix the incision, since it'll just be re-opened and re-sutured again when I get my port out. She said I should ask the interventional radiologist those questions, and I got the impression she didn't think it was an option not to fix it. She called it a quality issue. She said she personally has 5 current patients with the same problem, there are people looking into what is causing the increased frequency of this issue, and it's just something they need to get right. 

She said the only thing that concerned her was the timing of my appointment, in case they do perform a procedure to re-open the wound and re-suture everything. Since today was my last chemo, she suggested I move the appointment to any time in January. That would give my body and blood counts time to recover from chemo, so that hopefully chemo won't be a factor in the healing, as it has been this whole time since port placement. (Back at home this afternoon, I re-scheduled the appointment for the first week in January.)

My oncologist spent the majority of the time going over her decision to prescribe exemestane, an aromatase inhibitor (AI), instead of Tamoxifen, which we discussed at the last appointment. Since I have consistently fallen in an "intermediate risk" range, she went back to my medical records and went over my pathology from the beginning, including reviewing my Oncotype DX report in more detail. She even showed me a report on some clinical trials (the TEXT and SOFT trials), and a decision-making flow chart that can be used to help to determine treatment options. Even though my lymph nodes were clear (a sign of "low risk"), age 43 is still "young" (a sign of "high risk"), and the fact that I had bilateral cancer with two different types is unusual enough that she considered it a sign of "high risk". For whatever reason, my body just happened to be conducive to breast cancer; she likes to say that I had "busy breasts". 

I left the appointment feeling comfortable with the decision to take an AI. She reiterated that if the side effects are unbearable, I can always try Tamoxifen. She said she'd write the prescription at our next appointment in January, which means I'll have a few weeks' break with no chemo and no new hormone therapy. 

Up in my infusion bay, I started my pre-meds around 10:15. My physical therapist came in around the same time to work on my cording.

I started Herceptin at 10:45, and Taxol at 11:15. With my physical therapy out of the way, I got some reading done during the infusion.

At 12:30, my infusion nurse de-accessed my port. I mentioned my thoughts about whether or not it's really necessary to continue trying to fix the port incision, and she didn't hesitate to say it was. She said the open wound is a risk for infection, and also, once the warmer spring and summer months come around, I probably won't like having it on display, since it won't be so easy covering up with layers in hot weather. She also suggested I mention to the interventional radiologist that the skin glue didn't work on my original closure, so maybe sutures would be better. I'll definitely ask what they plan to do differently to ensure a clean closure this time.

Interestingly, my nurse also mentioned that my right arm looked swollen! She has a good eye. I was completely surprised, because I hadn't noticed, and the physical therapist hadn't mentioned anything. But back home this evening, Ken agreed my right arm looked "thicker" than my left. Of course, now that I'm aware, I'm noticing some slight tingling in my right hand. So, now I'm worried about lymphedema. I'll continue to do my stretches, and will mention the swelling to my physical therapist next week. (For the record, I have not been keeping up with my walking/biking exercises, and I wonder if that may be a factor in the swelling... I will try harder to get my exercising in!)

My blood work had several values slightly out of range, but nothing that hasn't already been seen at some point during my chemo. 

Incidentally, today my lunch arrived just as I was leaving at 12:45. At my nurse's suggestion, I ate my lunch in the "respite room", a little room with a table and chairs, like a small conference room. By the time I left, I had spent about 5 hours at the Cancer Center.

1 comment:

  1. What an enormous relief it must be to finish your chemo! What a nice way to end a terrible year.

    ReplyDelete