Monday, July 19, 2021

7/19/21: I Emailed My Genetic Counselor

Today I checked in with my hospital's Cancer Genetics department. I called the same number I used last year to speak with a genetic counselor, and a recorded greeting said the whole department is working remotely. I could leave a message, or else send an email to an address provided. Email sounded great!

In the email I mentioned the name of the genetic counselor I spoke with last year, and the same person emailed me back. It was only afterwards that I remembered that I had already exchanged a couple emails with her last summer, and could have emailed her directly. I'll try to remember that for next year.

Anyway, she said she looked up my VUS-es (one on the BRCA2 gene and another one on PALB2) in all the clinical databases, and they are both still categorized as variants of uncertain significance. So, no new information. It would be a relief if they turned out to be harmless variants, but I guess them being VUS-es is still better than them being cancer-linked mutations for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment