Thursday, June 1, 2023

6/1/23: Medical Oncology NP Appointment

Today's appointment was my first time going to the Cancer Center since the state's universal masking policy for medical facilities ended. I was so disappointed to see not a single employee wearing a mask. Besides me, I saw only 2 other patients in masks. This is a place where actual immunocompromised and high-risk people go to get life-saving medical care, and still nobody could be bothered to help protect them by mitigating the spread of COVID-19. This reality has been a very hard pill for me to swallow.

(Without giving away my location, I'll just note that the COVID-19 wastewater data for my county shows values almost as high as Winter 2020-2021 levels, relatively low compared to our ginormous Omicron peak, but certainly not objectively low.)

Interestingly, my NP told me that even though masks aren't required, they do still expect symptomatic people to wear masks. She said there was a woman recently who came in coughing, and when she refused to wear a mask, they actually sent her home and made her re-schedule! While this kind of policy doesn't address asymptomatic transmission, it's definitely better than nothing, so I appreciate it.

Now, about my appointment.

I don't know for sure if this was the first time this has happened, but I actually had nothing new to report. I still have all my usual side effects from surgically-induced menopause and anastrozole - joint stiffness, hot flashes, anxiety, poor sleep - plus lingering neuropathy from chemo, but none of that is new.

My NP said that even though I consider my hot flashes manageable, and they "only" happen a few times a day - an improvement from when they used to happen many times a day - she said I don't have to live with them, and she asked if I wanted to try Effexor, which can treat both hot flashes and anxiety. (I Googled the medication at home, and it turns out it's actually an antidepressant that is frequently prescribed off-label for menopausal hot flashes.) 

I'm not keen on taking medications if I can help it, so I asked about magnesium, which the Hormone Repair Manual recommended for hot flashes, and which Google says can also help with anxiety. My NP was supportive and said she takes magnesium herself, for other reasons. She recommended 300-400 mg daily in the form of magnesium glycinate. There are many forms of magnesium, and the Hormone Repair Manual also recommended magnesium glycinate. (My NP said magnesium citrate would be fine, too, but my local pharmacy didn't have it. She also said to avoid magnesium oxide because diarrhea is a common side effect.) My NP suggested I start by taking it every other day, just to make sure I don't have any negative side effects, before increasing to daily use. 

Moving on, we discussed my hepatology appointment, and then she did a physical exam.

She did not mention doing an EKG, so I asked if I should get one. Once again, my self-advocacy paid off; she confirmed that my notes said I should get an EKG every 6-12 months. My last EKG was 7 months ago, so she decided we could do one today, and then do them yearly moving forward. Getting an EKG is a little funny because it takes a while to position all the leads, but then the procedure itself takes just a few seconds, and all the leads that took so long to put on get taken right off. Anyway, I took a peek at my printout and saw that my QT/QTc was 424/424 ms, which is within the normal range. Yay!

Planning ahead, my NP said that I could make my next appointment in a year. Normally I have an oncology appointment every 6 months, but since I'm relatively stable right now (knock on wood), she said it's good enough for me to have my Breast Center appointment in 6 months (already on the calendar), and then my next oncology appointment 6 months after that. But, since my next Breast Center appointment is expected to be my last, they may have me go back to having oncology appointments every 6 months after next year. In the past I have been a little nervous about lengthening the time in between appointments, so she reassured me that I can always call if something comes up; surprisingly, I actually felt fine about not returning sooner, maybe because I haven't had any unexpected complications lately, but also because I'm not too eager to go back now that they've dropped their mask mandate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment