Thursday, May 23, 2019

5/23/19: Phone Calls

Taking my PCP's advice, I called the Breast Center to inquire about my MRI appointment.

After choosing the automated menu selection for scheduling, the person who answered the phone said my timing was perfect; my insurance company had just approved the pre-authorization.

My NP had told me that the MRI should be done at a particular time during my menstrual cycle, so my MRI had to be scheduled during a specific window of dates. I made my appointment, which would be in 1 1/2 weeks.

I also took my PCP's advice and decided to schedule an OB/GYN appointment to discuss birth control options.

I loved my OB/GYN who saw me through the births of both my children. I also regularly saw an NP in the same office, and I loved her, too. A few years after having my second child, I figured my PCP could take care of my Pap tests and the prescription for my birth control pills, so I stopped going to my OB/GYN. That was about 8 years ago.

I started by looking up my old providers. Unfortunately, neither were still practicing in my area. Now that I had to find a new OB/GYN, I decided to look within the same hospital network as my PCP and the Breast Center.

I went online to cross-reference doctors in the hospital network at locations near me with the list of in-network providers listed by my insurance company.

I called up the local OB/GYN practice affiliated with the hospital. As a new patient, they randomly assigned me to a doctor, and luckily it was the one I preferred based on the online profiles. I made an appointment for the earliest available date, which was 5 months from now, in October.

Just for good measure, I also called my insurance company. I confirmed that I do not need a referral for an OB/GYN appointment. I also learned that I had met my personal deductible, so the cost of the MRI should be fully covered; I would only need to pay a co-pay of $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment