Monday, June 17, 2019

6/17/19: (Diagnosis) My NP Called Me with Biopsy Results - I Have Breast Cancer

My posts are now caught up to real time. I'll post new information as I receive it.

My NP called me on the 2nd business day after my biopsy. "The two lesions both show breast cancer."

I have to say, I did not expect this.

Both diagnostic mammograms of my right breast showed "no evidence of cancer."

After two ultrasounds on my first lump, two different radiologists identified it as a sebaceous cyst, and were unconcerned. (I am not clear on this, but is the first lump itself still a sebaceous cyst, and the cancer cells are underneath it?)

It was only because of the appearance of the second lump, which did not show up on the second ultrasound, that the MRI was ordered, which led to the biopsy, which led to this diagnosis.

Anyway. The NP called the cancer "grade 2". She said there are 3 grades. According to this site, "grade 2" means the cancer "looks less like normal cells and is growing faster".

She said the testing on the "receptors" takes more time, and we still need more information on those. Depending on the receptor testing results, the cancer may respond to hormone medication. She said a particular protein called "HER2" can help indicate how aggressive the cancer is. None of this made much sense to me on the phone, but later I read up on breast cancer hormone receptors and HER2.

The NP confirmed my upcoming ultrasound appointment, then said she wanted to add a diagnostic mammogram of my left breast to that appointment, so we have all possible testing done for both breasts.

The next step after that is to have an appointment with a breast surgeon. But I guess some things still need to happen behind the scenes, because she said she can't set up that appointment yet. Maybe the receptor testing results will dictate what kind of appointment I need with the breast surgeon.

My NP said she will call me again on Wednesday to check in, to see if I have any questions. Hopefully by then she'll have an appointment with the breast surgeon for me.

After I hung up with the NP, I thought of a question. I called her right back, and luckily she was still available to talk. I asked her if, now that I had been diagnosed with breast cancer, should I stop taking my birth control pill? She said yes, once a person is diagnosed, they do recommend stopping any hormone medication. It's not imperative to stop immediately, but as soon as I'm able to stop, I should stop. (I stopped immediately.)

No comments:

Post a Comment