Friday, March 20, 2020

3/20/20: Maintenance Herceptin #5 + Lupron

Everyone at the Cancer Center was wearing a mask, both patients and staff. Checking in, I was given a mask and asked 3 screening questions. I got a large sticker to place on my hoodie to show that I had been screened.

I had a 9:00 appointment to get my port accessed and blood drawn.

Regarding the coronavirus pandemic, my port nurse said that disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizers are being stolen from exam rooms. She didn't say if people were taking them for use in other parts of the hospital, or if individuals are taking them home, but she said she is locking hers up at night, since she needs them for use with her patients.

Upstairs, a sign in front of the infusion room said to check in at the information desk. There was no one at the desk, and since I had already checked in at the main reception desk downstairs, I figured I was all set and went in as usual. Turns out, with the increased security for the coronavirus, they want patients to wait outside until called. Yesterday they had someone standing guard, but no one was there this morning.

Anyway, the medical assistant took my vitals, then got me settled in a bay.


My infusion nurse came in around 9:45. She asked me how my hands were feeling, and I told her I've basically gotten used to the mild puffiness, numbness, and tingling that persists in my fingers. She looked at my hands and said she could see they are just a bit swollen, especially in the fingers. I mentioned that I sometimes feel shooting nerve sensations (no pain) when doing something that requires fine motor skills, like sewing a button.

We waited for the pharmacy to deliver the Herceptin, which got started around 10:15.

About the same time, my physical therapist checked in with me. I had cancelled today's appointment, so I really appreciated that she stopped by. She asked about my hands, and I told her the same things I told my infusion nurse. She asked if my arms felt heavy. (I think this is a symptom of lymphedema.) I said they don't, and the only time my arms really get involved is when I'm bending my elbows, like when I'm holding a phone to my ear, and then my whole hand goes numb, but feels better after I extend my arms again. She said it sounds like the residual swelling just continues to pinch some nerves. She reminded me that it's important to keep up with my exercises and walking. She also said that even if we can't have in-person appointments, she's available for questions, so if anything changes, or if I feel like I need new exercises, I can give her a call.

I got my Lupron shot, and my nurse handed me my visit summary printout. My port nurse had told me that the only blood test ordered was for vitamin D, but the results weren't back yet. My infusion nurse confirmed that I should keep taking the 2000 IU of vitamin D prescribed by my old medical oncologist.

I washed my hands in the restroom just outside the infusion room. I left the Cancer Center around 11:00, so today's visit was a little over 2 hours.

After I got home, I saw I had a voice mail message from my social worker. She was just checking in to see how I'm doing, especially in light of the pandemic, and wanted to make sure I know that I can still call her if I need anything. I appreciated the reminder.

I also checked my blood work online, and my vitamin D is still low, only slightly higher than when it was first checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment