Thursday, December 23, 2021

12/23/21: Lupron + Medical Oncology NP Appointment

Wow, I had such a nice appointment with my medical oncology NP today.

We started out just talking about the state of the pandemic, Christmas plans, kids in school. It sounded like we were pretty much on the same page about everything, which was reassuring because usually I feel like I'm the weirdo for being more risk averse than those around me. It occurred to me that maybe we would be friends if we had met in some other context, or maybe she is just very, very good at her job and making her patients feel comfortable!

We went over all my side effects, which now feel manageable and stable. I mentioned my hot flashes, very slight neuropathy persisting in the first 3 fingers of both hands, and waking up 1-2 times every night (because of a hot flash or having to pee). I also talked about how my joints always feel especially tight, particular when standing up after sitting for any length of time (doesn't even have to be very long); I just feel like an old person, hobbling along until my joints loosen up. I said my husband keeps telling me it's age-related, and I just need to stretch in the mornings, but she disagreed and said she's sure it's a side effect of the Tamoxifen.  

The NP had me change into a gown for a breast exam, which went fine.

She realized my standing order for lab work had expired a couple days earlier, so she put in a new order, and I got my blood drawn after the appointment. I'll check the online patient portal for results.

I forgot to ask when my next appointment will be. My last one was 6 months ago with my medical oncologist, so I am assuming my next one will be in 6 months with my medical oncologist, too. I guess I'll see what shows up in my online patient portal appointment list. 

After the appointment, and after the blood draw, I went upstairs for my Lupron shot. I got one of my old familiar nurses, which was nice, especially because she's the one who is the best at giving totally painless shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment