Monday, August 21, 2023

8/16/23: PCP Appointment

I haven't been blogging all my PCP appointments because they aren't directly related to having cancer. But at my annual check-up my doctor did say something relevant, so I figured I should mention it. 

I told her about trying magnesium glycinate for hot flashes and anxiety, how I think it "may" have helped, and how I stopped and ended up not feeling either symptom while on vacation, but am getting them again now. She didn't seem too keen on supplements in general, suggested I could have experienced a placebo effect when taking the magnesium, and she said straight up, "I wouldn't take it," especially since I'm monitoring my heart these days. She then dove into a discussion of my recent stress test results, and I forgot to go back to ask what connection magnesium has with the heart.

Back home, I Googled it and found this article, which warns about getting too much magnesium, especially in the form of supplements. Both my doctor and the article said to first try getting more magnesium into my regular diet. I kind of wish my doctor had included measuring my magnesium level in my blood test, but she didn't, and I didn't think to ask for it. 

My doctor also didn't say this outright, but I inferred that she thinks I should try to maintain my vacation mindset all the time. I guess that is what I am trying to do with my efforts in meditation and exercise and finding little joys in each day (like having a quiet cup of coffee in the sun on my back patio).

So, I will be putting the magnesium glycinate on hold for now, and make a note to ask my cardiologist about it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment