Friday, August 25, 2023

8/25/23: I Have Back Pain

I tagged this post with "hormone therapy" but I don't actually know that it's a side effect. I hope it is, because that would mean it might go away or improve after I stop taking anastrozole. 

First, some clarifications. In the past, I've talked about this side effect as joint-related. On 12/23/21, while on Tamoxifen, I wrote:

My joints always feel especially tight, particular when standing up after sitting for any length of time (doesn't even have to be very long); I just feel like an old person, hobbling along until my joints loosen up.

Then on 3/19/22, after I started anastrozole, I wrote:

My joint stiffness has gotten worse again... I also have it in my legs, and its worst when standing up from a sitting position. After standing up, I usually have to walk around for a few moments before I can actually stand up straight and walk normally.

Looking back, I don't know why I characterized it as being a problem with my "joints" and "legs" when now it seems clear that being unable to stand up straight after sitting could be a lower back problem. I never took any human physiology classes, so what do I know. Also, I'm in my 40s and didn't think I was old enough to face back issues, but apparently it's normal to start noticing back pain around age 40!     

So I guess a better word to describe my symptoms might be "musculoskeletal", which incorporates muscles, bones, joints and connective tissues.

Anyway. About a week ago, I did some yard work and overdid it, so instead of needing just "a few moments" to stand up straight again after sitting, it took on the order of minutes. I paid extra attention to how I was sitting, being careful to sit up straight and support my lower back, and made sure to avoid bending over, using my knees instead. I moved around slower, but it was fine. 

Then yesterday, I forgot to pay attention while sitting down to breakfast, and when I got up - OMG. I mean, OMG!!!! I felt a sharp, shooting pain in my lower back that was unbearable. Not only could I not straighten up, I thought my legs would buckle under me! I hobbled my way to bed and managed, through great pain, to lie down. Then I lay there practically motionless for 2 hours, while my son brought me ibuprofen and cold packs. 

I never quite understood what it meant when people say they "threw out their back", but I am pretty sure that's what I did.

I spent all of yesterday mostly lying down in pain. This morning I was thrilled and relieved to have no trouble at all getting out of bed, walking around, and using the bathroom. But I know I need to continue babying my back, for who knows how long. I will follow this advice and these tips, and when I think I can handle it, will incorporate these exercises into my routine. I even ordered a standing desk to minimize my sitting.

Of course, these back problems could just be normal, age-related developments. But, muscle pain, and specifically back pain, could also be side effects of anastrozole. I'll add it to my list of concerns for my next oncology appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment