Saturday, September 12, 2026

9/12/26: Cost Update

Wow, I haven't done a cost update in over a year.

Our health insurance has a July-to-June coverage year, so this update includes my cancer-related costs through all of the last coverage year (which ended in June 2026) til now. 

We have a high deductible health plan, which means we pay a lot out of pocket at the start of each coverage year, and then at some point towards the end of our coverage year we meet the deductible, and the remaining appointments until the end of June are fully covered.  

Thankfully, prescriptions work differently, and my anastrozole is always fully covered. 

So for this update, I'll list the amount billed / retail price (which gets added to the "total cost"), and then in parentheses I'll include the amount I had to pay after insurance processed the claim (which gets added to the "cost to me").

One more note: Usually there are two charges for each appointment, one for the hospital and one for the provider. As of the time of this post, however, only the hospital charge for my last oncology appointment shows up on my health insurance online account. 

10/16/25: Anastrozole (generic): $545.99 (Covered by insurance)
1/12/26: Anastrozole (generic): $545.99 (Covered by insurance)
4/10/26: Anastrozole (generic): $545.99 (Covered by insurance)
6/15/26: Medical Oncologist Appointment Hospital + Blood Work: $1,035.00 (Covered by insurance) 
6/26/26: Cardiologist Appointment + EKG: $440.00 (Covered by insurance) 
6/26/26: Cardiologist Hospital + EKG + Blood Work: $510.00 (Covered by insurance) 
7/9/26: Anastrozole (generic): $545.99 (Covered by insurance)
8/18/26: Bone Density Radiologist: $138.00 (I paid $26.25)
8/18/26: Bone Density Hospital: $1,082.00 (I paid $325.15) 

Total cost to date: $486,575.30
With insurance, cost to me: $17,260.03

No comments:

Post a Comment