Wednesday, September 16, 2026

9/16/26: OB/GYN Appointment

Of course, by nature of this provider's specialty, this post might be TMI. 

I didn't post about my OB/GYN appointments in the last couple years because I figured those visits weren't cancer-specific. But then I realized: I only started seeing an OB/GYN again (after having kids) because of issues related to cancer treatment; without those complications, and since my PCP can handle things like pap smears, do I still need to see an OB/GYN?

I brought up this question at my last oncology appointment, and my oncologist suggested I continue seeing the OB/GYN at least as long as I'm getting hormone therapy, especially since the OB/GYN can best advise in matters related to menopause. 

My original OB/GYN doctor retired a couple years ago. There was a temporary replacement at my last appointment, but today's appointment was with an NP who I can expect to be my provider moving forward. She was friendly and efficient. 

We touched upon all my menopause symptoms. For poor sleep, she suggested taking magnesium glycinate in the evening before bed. I told her I had tried it before for anxiety, and then had given up on it, but maybe I can consider taking it again. I think it's interesting that I now have 2 NPs who have been supportive of magnesium glycinate (this OB/GYN NP and my medical oncology NP) and 2 doctors who haven't been too keen on the idea (my PCP and my cardiologist). Well, I'll think about it.

For anxiety, she said if I wanted to take medication, I could consider something like Lexapro, which might also improve hot flashes. My hot flashes aren't nearly as bad as they used to be, so that's not really much of an incentive, but I do wonder what life might be like if I didn't have so much anxiety... Still, I'd prefer not to take medication unless it's necessary, and I think I'm managing okay with mindfulness and meditation. But, I'll think about it.

Finally, we talked about vaginal dryness. I told her that my oncologist said it would be okay to try a vaginal estrogen cream, because the amount of estrogen absorbed into the body would be minimal. But then I admitted that I haven't even properly tried the non-estrogen moisturizers previously recommended; so far I've only used Aquaphor topically and externally for itching, and it helps. She reiterated some of the same recommendations I'd already gotten from previous OB/GYNs and my oncologist, specifically, coconut oil and Revaree. Again, not sure I need them, but it's good to know what the options are.

No comments:

Post a Comment