Thursday, October 17, 2019

10/17/19: Cycle 2 Side Effects

So far, so good. Two weeks in, and I've only experienced mild side effects. I'm trying to walk at least 30 minutes every day except infusion day - as long as the weather and my schedule allow it - and I'm drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day. Still, I'm guessing the biggest factor is the fact that my regimen really is "chemo lite" (a low dose of just 1 chemo drug).

Day 1
Same as last week, the dry mouth started soon after I got home. (This week, though, the dry mouth did not progress to that acidic feeling.)

I continued to have a sporadic dry cough, but it wasn't as bad as last week. At first it seemed to go away, actually; it returned on Day 3, and then diminished as the week went on.

I had a really poor night's sleep. It's not unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night (especially to pee), and then have trouble falling back asleep, but my Fitbit says I got less than 4 hours total, which is unusual. Difficulty sleeping is listed as a side effect of Decadron, the steroid pre-med.

Day 2
I had itchy thumbs, but only very briefly.

Day 3
I woke up with a stuffy nose.

I also had some tingly toes and itchy fingers. These sensations came and went, lasting only a short while when they occurred.

Sorry for the TMI, but I had a bit of diarrhea, which is listed as a possible side effect for both Taxol and Herceptin.

Around mid-afternoon, I started feeling super tired. I thought it might just be the lack of sleep catching up to me, but my whole body felt tired, even kind of weak. I just wanted to lie down and sleep. I suppose that counts as "fatigue"? That night I slept a ton; according to Fitbit, I slept a couple more hours than usual.

Day 4
Weirdly, I felt like I had a hard time focusing my eyes all day. Maybe it was just a part of being tired? I had taken a walk in the morning, and it was a very sunny day. Something tickled my memory, and I checked the handout I have on Taxol; it says the drug "will make you sensitive to sunlight. You must wear sunglasses when outside, and avoid sun exposure." Aahhh! Oops... I guess the lack of sunglasses really affected my eyes!? I just happened to wear long sleeves and long pants because of the cool temperature. I'll keep my sunglasses and a hat handy from now on. 

I also had a little tingling in my fingers, and an occasional runny nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment