Monday, August 26, 2019

8/26/19: I Tried Dry Shampoo

I was allowed to shower yesterday (2 days after surgery), but I don't feel psychologically prepared to look at my scars yet.

I can usually go about 2 days without washing my hair before I start to look and feel like Professor Snape. I'm fine not showering during these early days of recovery, and I have cleansing body wipes to use in the meantime. But my oily hair was really starting to bug me.

I have no prior experience with dry shampoo, so Ken just picked a couple products randomly for me. I used Dove. It seemed to get the job done, though it's much too fragrant for my liking. My hair still looks kind of shiny, but it definitely got rid of the greasy look. It feels clean enough, but not like a just-showered clean. I can see how dry shampoo could be a good option if I am unable to take a shower - like now - but I don't see myself using it as a regular alternative if I could just as easily wash my hair in a shower.

8 comments:

  1. I use this stuff on Ryan when he goes days without showering and his hair starts looking super greasy. Definitely does take the greasiness out. The smell I also find overpowering. I’m sure there are some that are better than others (less fragrant, don’t leave a white residue that you have to brush out or run your fingers through...) It’s definitely good for days you can’t or don’t have time to shampoo or in Ryan’s case you just don’t want to! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, do you have a brand you would recommend? Just for future reference... The Dove did not leave a white residue. Ken also got these single use shower caps with the dry shampoo in the caps - no spray, just put the cap on and massage. I wonder if that kind of non-aerosol product might be less fragrant.

      Delete
    2. I do not have a brand to recommend. I just buy the cheap ones which do have a strong scent and leave a white residue which I shake out with my hands. There are other brands, that are more expensive, I’ve been wanting to try but since I really don’t use it all that often I have yet to try them. I have never heard of the shower caps with dry shampoo! I wonder if the shower caps work better overnight! I have read dry shampoo is best used before bed!

      Delete
    3. I did happen to use the dry shampoo in the evening just because Ken bought it after dinner and I was eager to try it! This morning my hair does feel even lighter, but still really fragrant.

      Delete
  2. Dove has a fragrance free dry shampoo, but it's true that I don't always see it on the shelves. I heard there is a tinted dry shampoo for those with dark hair and find the white streak problem. A dry shampoo I have liked is by a brand called Biotera and it had "cooling mint" in it. I liked the way it felt on my scalp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great aunts used to brush their hair with corn starch when too ill for a shampoo, but they were blondes. I bought some 'Groom & Clean' for my eldest boy several years ago when he was having greasy hair issues. Not overly perfumy but does have a light 'clean' smell added.

    ReplyDelete