Friday, September 13, 2019

9/13/19: (3 Weeks Post-DMX) Breast Surgeon Appointment

I had my post-operative follow-up appointment with my breast surgeon. Ken came with me. I am actually a little sad that this will probably be the last time I see this doctor. He is so calm and respectful and has a reassuring presence.

He looked at my incisions and said they are healing nicely. I asked him about the continued swelling and numbness - not visibly problematic, but I can feel them - and he said it was normal, to just give it time.

I told him I was still wearing the surgical bra and compression band at home (I didn't wear them to the appointment), and he said I could stop wearing them. Interestingly, even with no garments, my chest area still feels tight and constricted. I think it's what some people in the Facebook support groups call the "iron bra". I think the feeling is supposed to go away, though a few women have said the feeling lingers.

He asked me to raise my arms to the side, and my range of motion was limited enough that he referred me to physical therapy. I have my first appointment scheduled for next week.

I asked about getting a prescription for the contoured, custom-made prosthetics he mentioned at our first meeting. He said my NP can give me the prescription and information on how to fill it. I'm still not sure if I want them, so I'll just keep it in mind, just in case.

We also talked about my surgical pathology. As I already knew from my last NP appointment, he got clear surgical margins, and there was no evidence of cancer in my sentinel lymph nodes. I am so thankful for this man's surgical skills. He declared me tumor-free! I think this means I don't need radiation.

But, he said there was one "hiccup". My NP had already told me about the 4 mm tumor that was found in my left breast, but at the time, the HER2 status was still pending. The results came in, and this tumor was HER2-positive. Combined with being ER-positive and PR-positive, that means this cancer is triple positive. (My original two tumors were both HER2-negative.)

HER2-positive cancers are usually treated with Herceptin, which is commonly administered with chemotherapy. But, since the tumor is "tiny", chemotherapy is not clearly necessary. But, since I am considered young, that generally means the cancer was more aggressive, so chemotherapy might be recommended. Plus, being young and healthy, chemotherapy is not as risky as it would be if I were older or if I had other health issues. If I do get chemotherapy, it's possible I could get a lighter regimen. He said my case is squarely in a grey area. The tumor board will likely discuss my case next Wednesday, in time for my medical oncologist appointment on Thursday.

When my surgical pathology report came back "all clear," a lot of people assumed that was the end of my treatment. Why would I need chemotherapy, if the surgery removed all the cancer? I, too, had had this question. The answer is explained succinctly in this brief video (with transcript). Basically, cancer is a systemic disease. Tumors are localized symptoms, and surgery and radiation are localized treatment that specifically target tumors. Chemotherapy and hormone therapy are systemic, whole body treatments. Surgery is frequently just the first step of treatment.

Anyway, I'll have a 6-month follow-up appointment with my NP.

Since the surgery, I've been mostly focused on my physical recovery, and working a bit on my emotional well-being, but now I am quite anxious to know what my ongoing treatment will look like.

So, after this appointment, Ken and I went out for a really nice lunch at a new-to-us restaurant. It was my first time being flat out in public. I wore a poncho-like wrap that a good friend very thoughtfully gave me just the other day, knowing I am looking for new clothing options that will hide my flatness. As it turned out, in this wrap, I felt so comfortable in my flatness that I was more self-conscious about wearing uncharacteristically fashionable clothes. Hahaha.

6 comments:

  1. You look beautiful Irene 🌷
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic Irene! What a beautiful color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i hope you don't have to do chemo! I didn't realize that's why chemo was done-that it's treating a systemic problem! That wrap is great! and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind words!! And for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for explaining about chemo. It makes sense. And I LOVE you in this color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poncho does look great! Where did you and Ken go for lunch?

    ReplyDelete