Monday, September 9, 2019

9/9/19: (17 Days Post-DMX) I Drove

Today I picked the kids up from school. Ken came with me just in case. It went fine!

I definitely found myself driving slower than usual because I was being so careful. It wasn't effortless; I could feel muscles being stretched as I turned the steering wheel. Also, backing out of the driveway was non-trivial because I couldn't turn my torso as far as usual to look behind me. And I did feel kind of worn out afterwards.

I think driving will be good for me; it'll force me to use my arms in ways that they are normally used.

I'm going to ease myself back into driving, though. I'll only pick up the kids for a few days, and then I'll add in dropping them off, and then I'll work up to longer drives.

My chest is still bruised and sensitive, so I did use a mastectomy seat belt pillow that I received as a gift from my cousin. It worked well enough, though it didn't quite stay put, so I had to occasionally re-position it. I think a larger version may work even better, being more stable and spreading out the support across the whole chest and shoulder area.

Also, I think I will try to gradually reduce my use of the compression band. I'm going to start by taking it off only to sleep, continuing to wear it during the day. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm? I tried to post a comment a couple of days ago from my iPhone and it wouldn't post. It still won't today. I can't figure it out. So, I have to post from a desktop. Anyway, just wanted to say glad to hear you're easing back into your daily activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Sorry I can't do anything to fix the comments, it's just a part of Blogger. Seems like a lot of people aren't able to post comments on phones.

      Delete