Wednesday, September 25, 2019

9/24/19: I Got Blood Drawn

On Monday in the late afternoon, I got a message on my cell phone that I need to get blood drawn before Wednesday's port placement.

I'm not a cell phone person, so even though I know the hospital might call my cell, I still haven't made a habit of keeping it close by with the sound on at all times.

By the time I got the message, I didn't have the time or energy to go out again, so I put it on my calendar for Tuesday.

I don't even know what kind of blood work they needed, just that it was related to the port placement.

But the extra trip did produce actionable intel for me! In chatting with the person who drew my blood, I learned that the whole hospital complex that I go to is actually two institutions; one is a satellite location of the main hospital in the city, the other is its own local hospital that is affiliated with the main hospital.

This information is eye-opening because I noticed I had two Medical Record Numbers, and I couldn't figure out why. Also, when I logged into the online patient portal (for the main hospital), I noticed it didn't show all my appointments. Now I know that if I log into the other patient portal (for the local hospital), the "missing" appointments are there!

The two hospitals seem to work seamlessly with each other. I'm glad I can make more sense of my online accounts and paperwork, though I wouldn't complain if they streamlined it into one system.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I’m glad your blood work appointment gave you some clarity about your online accounts, paperwork and appointments! Yeah, it would be nice if they streamlined it so you wouldn’t have to look at two different places! :P

    ReplyDelete