Tuesday, September 3, 2019

9/3/19: Phone Calls (Insurance Referral + Drains)

Over the weekend I suddenly remembered I need to get a PCP referral for my upcoming medical oncologist appointment.

I called the medical oncologist's office to get my doctor's NPI number.

Then I called my PCP's referral line to request a referral for my appointment.

It's all good and fine, and not a lot of trouble, but I know it's extra steps that my insurance requires that other people with more flexible insurance plans probably don't have to worry about.

I also called the Breast Center to ask about getting my drains out. They directed me to call the breast surgeon's office, which is a separate number. I decided to call based on the < 30 mL instruction, in case it's sufficient; if they really want < 20 mL, they'd just tell me to call again later.

I made the appointment for Thursday afternoon, so maybe I'll be at < 20 mL by that time anyway. They had an opening for early morning tomorrow at the location in the city, but since Ken has to drive me, it was an especially inconvenient time.

3 comments:

  1. hey! I am thinking of you, hope you are doing o.k.. great to hear your regular Irene voice on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! at least you can look forward to getting those drains out soon! The insurance stuff is such a pain! referrals especially....just extra busy work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that insurance dictates how, when, where and who you should see. Ridiculous! Hope your appointment, this afternoon, goes well!

    ReplyDelete